Pendant inspired by a clay amphora with oval body from the island of Thassos, decorated with handles on each side of the vessel. This type of vessel was used to store wine, olive oil, precious aromatic oils or other commodities. It dates around mid-4th century B.C. Our impressive pendant, which can adorn any style, is made of brass, plated in silver solution 925° and is offered with a black satin cord.
Dimensions of the amphora: 6,5cm x 2,5cm
All prices include VAT.
The amphora was a type of vessel with an oval body. It was usually made with a handle on one or each side of the vessel. In the Bronze Age, amphorae spread around the ancient Mediterranean world. The ancient Greeks used them to transport and store grapes, olive oil, wine, grain, fish, and other commodities. The vessels were usually tall and produced with a pointed base to allow upright storage by embedding in soft ground, such as sand. The shape of the vessels differed from region to region, which helps us to identify the amphora's origin.
In New Koutali, the refugees of 1922 dealt almost exclusively with sponge harvesting and the elaboration of the sponges. The exhibits of the Museum of Maritime Tradition and Sponge Fishing of New Koutali, show the naval tradition of the refugees from the island of Koutali in the Sea of Marmara before their uprooting, the sponge harvesting and the elaboration of the sponges. It displays the archaeological collection of Nea Koutali, which consists of items, that the sponge divers collected from the depths of the sea.
The amphora is displayed at the Hydra Museum - Historical Archives (IAMY) in Hydra and at the Museum of Maritime Tradition and Sponge Fishing of Nea Koutali, which is located at the island of Lemnos, in the village of Nea Koutali.
No posts found